I’m a stickler for a clean, organized workspace. I just can’t focus when surrounded by clutter – whether it’s on my desk or on my screen.
I spend a lot of time in my WordPress admin area updating pages, adding products, and scheduling blog posts. One of the things I love most about WordPress is how robust it is – there are tons of great plugins to choose from to upgrade your site. When you start adding a few of these tools, however, your admin menu may begin appearing disorganized and a little unattractive (mismatching plugin icons hurt my soul, y’all).
So, I went on a hunt for a plugin that would allow me to customize my admin area and came across Menu Editor. This plugin allows you to rearrange, rename and update icons for any item in your admin menu. And I’ve provided instructions below for those of you who are as picky as I am.
Remove a menu item
Sometimes plugins create menu items you may never need or just use once. In my case, Ninja Forms (which, btw, is an amazing form plugin) includes a few introductory and support links to my menu that I don’t need.
- Install, activate and open up Menu Editor. You can find it in: Settings – Menu Editor.
- You should see a list of all the links in your menu. Click on the list item you want to update. In my case, I clicked “Dashboard” and then “Welcome to Ninja Forms”.
- Click on the delete button. *Note: Depending on what you’re removing, you may get a popup that states you can only hide the menu item. That’s okay – just choose the option you need and save.
- Click “Save Changes”.
- Ta-da! Your menu should now be updated.
Tip: If you delete something by accident, just click “Undo changes” or restore your menu to its default settings.
Rearrange your menu items
To change the order of your menu, all you have to do is click and drag the menu item you want to move. You can also place additional separators to group similar links together (ex. I grouped all my menu items that involve social media and promotion together to find them easily).
Update a plugin icon
There always seems to be that one icon that doesn’t match the rest and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Thankfully, you can update that too!
- Open up Menu Editor in: Settings – Menu Editor.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the list item you want to update.
- At the bottom of the drop-down, click on “show advanced options”.
- Click on the icon to the right of “Icon URL”.
- You should now see a pop-up with various icons to choose from. These are pretty generic icons, so you will likely find one that represents your plugin appropriately. In my case, I’m updating CoSchedule, so I chose the calendar icon.
- Click “Save Changes”.
- Aaaand done! You should now see your updated icon.
Repeat these steps for all the menu items that need updating to make your menu area neat and tidy.